Free Online CME credits are available for health care providers from the University of Arizona College of Medicine.
The purpose of the training is to help providers further reduce opioid misuse in Arizona. Course is worth $150. Register here: www.vlh.com/azprescribing.
There is increasing evidence that opioid medications are over-prescribed and poorly managed. Prescribers may be unaware of appropriate opioid risk management strategies, non-opioid approaches, and chronic pain treatment resources. The online courses will familiarize prescribers with current guidelines for opioid use and prescribing, and non-opioid strategies for pain management.
- Appropriately use a range of therapeutic options when managing patients with chronic pain.
- Comply with current opioid risk-management practices, including the use of pain contracts and urine drug testing.
- Educate patients on the proper use, storage, and disposal of opioid medications.
- Use preferred modalities and medications for the treatment of acute and chronic non-terminal pain.
- Assess when it would be appropriate or not for a pregnant patient to undergo medically-supervised withdrawal from heroin.
Or download the guidelines in PDF format here: https://www.azdhs.gov/documents/audiences/clinicians/clinical-guidelines-recommendations/prescribing-guidelines/az-opioid-prescribing-guidelines.pdf