SAVE THE DATE!
FACULTY DEVELOPMENT SEMINAR SERIES
Presented by Drs. Paul Gordon and Tejal Parikh
JUNE 2, 2018
Arizona AHEC College of Nursing*
Area Health Education Centers *Co-sponsored by the College of Nursing inclusive of ANEW preceptors.
UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA HEALTH SCIENCES
College of Medicine Room 3230
8:00am – 5:00pm
NORTH COUNTRY HEALTH CARE/NAHEC, FLAGSTAFF
REGIONAL CENTER FOR BORDER HEALTH/WAHEC, SOMERTON
Training objectives and competencies that participants are expected to achieve at the conclusion of the seminar series are as follows:
1. Describe the characteristics of effective teaching in different teaching settings
2. Given a principle of adult learning, describe how that principle can be applied to clinical teaching settings
3. Describe a strategy for assessing learners’ clinical skills.
4. Given a learner in a clinical situation, assess that person’s clinical knowledge/skills using the strategy
5. Describe the components of a systematic approach to clinical teaching
6. Describe strategies to improve teaching in the lecture and/or office settings.
7. Given a case involving a difficult learner, specify a plan to address the individual’s problem
8. Describe how computers are used in medical education and demonstrate its use to access the medical, nursing and pharmacy literature
8-9am: Tips for Effective Clinical Teaching 9-10am: Feedback and Assessment
10-11am: Clinical Teaching in 5 easy steps 11-12 am: Problem Learner LUNCH
1-2pm: Office Based Teaching (with mini-lecture)
2-3pm: Giving Effective Lectures and Presentations
3-4pm: Medical Informatics Searching and Apps for your Smart Phone
4-5pm: Interprofessional Education/Teaching Toolkit: Putting it all Together